Planning a trip to Jordan in August? As it’s summer in the northern hemisphere, it’s a good time to visit Jordan – especially if you love hot weather. While not as cold as July, August is among the hottest months to visit Jordan.
Below you’ll find the basics of what the Jordan weather in August is like and how to prepare for it – the key here is to be prepared for the heat. I’ve also included travel tips and a few special events that happen in Jordan during August, to help you make the most of your time in the country.
While not as far south as you might expect, Jordan is located at 30°N, similar to places like Northern Mexico, Egypt, and Morocco! You might not think of Jordan as a summer destination, but it certainly can be. Ready to learn more? Here’s what you need to know.
Average Temperatures in Jordan in August
August is another blazing hot month in Jordan. The country still experiences high temperatures, with daily highs around 88°F (31°C).
The north has more bearable temperatures; in Amman, you can expect numbers between 69ºF (21°C) and 91ºF (33°C). The south can be warmer, with temperatures fluctuating between 66ºF (19°C) and 95ºF (35°C) in Petra and from 80ºF (27°C) to 104ºF (40°C) in Aqaba.
Average Weather in Jordan in August
The weather in Jordan in August is still very hot – much like July, which is the hottest month of the year. Most days are sunny, and precipitation is virtually nonexistent.
Most of the country is quite dry, except for Aqaba, where the humidity actually increases due to the city’s location near the Red Sea.
While this might sound unpleasant all around, the good news about Jordan’s weather in August is that the Khamsin (a dry, hot, sandy wind that can cause sandstorms) rarely makes an appearance during this month.
Travel Tips for Jordan in August
As you finalize your trip plans for August, here are some additional travel tips specifically for visiting this month:
- Pack light clothes. If you want to survive Jordan in August you need to dress appropriately; aim for loose, breathable clothing to help your skin sweat.
- Sun protection is essential. Bring sunglasses, sunscreen, and a hat to avoid any discomfort in this super hot month.
- Take advantage of budget-friendly prices. We’re still in the low season, meaning you can find hotels and fly tickets at a lower price.
- Enjoy the lack of crowds. August in Jordan isn’t exactly the most popular month among travelers. You’ll be able to explore the country’s attractions at your own pace and without navigating through a sea of tourists.
- Start your days early. The best way to explore Jordan in August is to wake up early. This way, you’ll get to explore the attractions during the lowest temperatures. (I also recommend this in the cooler months, but it’s to avoid the crowds instead of the heat.)
August Events in Jordan
As August is a hot month and less popular with tourists, there are fewer events this month than during other times of the year. That said, there is still one worth attending if it strikes your fancy and works with your travel dates:
🎥 Amman International Film Festival (August 15-22): Don’t miss the chance to explore the wonders that the Eastern world has made in the seventh art. This is the 4th edition of the festival and while it features films from all over the world, it has a special focus on Arab cinema.
Have any other questions about Jordan weather in August or other aspects of visiting during this month? Let me know in the comments below.